Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Say it ain't so.

artwork by Art Zoller Wagner


Today everything in life feels so natural, nothing holy or sacred. Today I remember that my feet touch earth, my hands touch skin and stones, my eyes see all the same people and things. I feel anchored by the chains of circumstance. Today what is natural feels carnal, and it begs me to give up or give in. I continually ask myself if I'll ever be more than what I am right now. Within me are only two answers to my question. Longing won't make it yes, dreaming won't make it yes, thinking or feeling will not make it yes.
Each wall that stands in my way must be pushed down, each chain entangling me must be unshackled and cast off. Every time I stumble I must rise and run. By my effort, by my resolute action will my answer be yes.