Thursday, November 02, 2006

Commonality

artwork by Antoine de Villiers


I've pretended to be stronger than I really am. I've cried myself to sleep. I've felt all alone in a crowded room filled with laughter. I've laughed even though I was desperate to cry. I've stared out the window wishing I were on the other side. I've wanted to be anyone but me. I've clung to the edge of myself wishing I were strong enough to let go, to be free. I've asked "why me?". I've longed to look into someone's eyes and say, "I don't know what I'm doing". I've longed to have someone look into my eyes and say, "it's going to be okay". I've found myself laying on the floor in the fetal position with my head in my hands. I have felt lost inside my skin. I've felt my heart break violently. I've called a friend hoping to be able to say the truth, and lied. I've been someone's rock, and they didn't know I was falling apart. I've stood in a crowd and felt empty, and asked "is THIS who I'm supposed to be?".
You've been there too.
Within those thoughts are the seeds of decisions...And within those seeds are the sprouts, and roots of what our lives will be.